It’s tough in the small business world right now in a post-covid economy with the cash rate and interest rates rising. Sometimes is feels like the odds are stacked against small business owners! But, with the latest info about government grants at your fingertips, you and your business won’t miss out on opportunities to get a leg up.
This blog is as a one-stop-shop for current grants — for businesses and/or households. This is an ever evolving space so we will be updating this blog regularly.
Let’s dive in.
The latest: November 2022
Support for Business
Digital Jobs Program
Receive a $5000 wage subsidy to hire an up-skilled, over 30 employee to help you in digital marketing, web development and data analytics areas (see the full list below) to come work in house with you business for 12 weeks. At the end of the 12 weeks, there is an option to hire the employee permanently. The program is up-skilling 5000 mid career Victorians into high demand jobs to boost the digital economy. Most of the participants have had over 10 years work experience in other industries and have undertaken a 12 week training program prior to applying for placement. The subsidy will cover approximately 40% of their cost.
The program works by registering to 'host' a participant and the program organisers will help you find the right person for the culture of your business. For more information, to register to become a host employer or to ask questions, go to the Digital Jobs page here: djpr.vic.gov.au
Training streams (Disciplines) include:
- AI/machine learning
- Cloud computing
- Cyber security
- Product management
- Project management
- Digital marketing
- Data analytics
- IT operations & support
- Web development
To be eligible, tou must be one of the following entity types:
- A company incorporated in Australia
- An incorporated trustee on behalf of a trust
- An incorporated association
- A partnership
- A joint (consortia) application with a lead organisation
- A [registered charity or] not for profit organisation
- A publicly funded research organisation
- An Australian local government body
- An Australian state or territory government body.
- Operate in Victoria (meaning the internship opportunity/ies to which your application relate, must be located in Victoria)
- Hold an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- Have current WorkCover Insurance (or equivalent) for an unlimited amount that shall include liability under statute or common law
- Be registered with Worksafe
- Have met all industrial relations obligations as an employer in accordance with the National Employment Standards
- Have not had any working conditions breaches in the last five years
- Comply with the Fair Work Act, 2009
Small Business Immediate flood relief program: Victorian Small Business
There is emergency grants and financial support available for businesses that were directly impacted by the Victorian floods in October 2022. For businesses a one off $5000 payment is available and free business mentoring.
- Must be located in an eligible local government area - external site
- Have an active Australian business number (ABN) and have held that ABN on or before 14 October 2022
- Must be registered for goods and services tax (GST) one or before 14 October 2022
- Have significant direct damage from flooding to the location of business, business assets, stock or equipment
Ready for Growth Program
Victorian Government is supporting 1000 businesses with high growth potential to access new markets and be able to employ staff — creating jobs for the economy. The program is open until 1 June 2024.
Basically the program is providing tailored business advice and includes:
- Developing a Growth Action Plan
- Building capabilities for growth
- Find grants and programs to support growth
- Improve connections to networks and ecosystems
- Connect to peers through the Ready for Growth Alumni Network
- Be a legally structured business in Victoria
- Have an (ABN)
- Been operating for the last 3 years
- Have more than 4 employees but less than 200
- Annual revenue of less than $20 million
For more info go to: business.gov.au/ready-for-growth
$150,000 Instant Asset Write-Off
The instant asset write-off is available up to the cost of $150,000 for purchasing business assets over the period of the year which they are purchased and claimed.
- Have an annual turnover less than $500 million
- Assets must cost less than the 150k threshold
- Assets must be purchased and used in the year the write-off is claimed
Solar for Business Program
The Solar for Business program offers eligible businesses the chance to apply for a rebate of $3,500 to install a solar panel system, with the option to take advantage of an interest-free loan up to $5,000.
To be eligible for the rebate, you must:
- Be the owner of a Victorian Business that employs at least one other person and has less than 50 full-time equivalent employees.
- Operate from a non-residential premises
- Have a Solar Victoria approved retailer install your solar system
Fridges and Freezers — Rebate/Discount (applies to businesses and households)
A fridge or freezer is a major purchase. This program offers a discount or rebate for eligible households or businesses who purchase and install a new fridge or freezer that is listed on the Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards register and meets certain minimum star ratings (depending on the upgrade product).
To be eligible to upgrade your fridge or freezer and get a discount/rebate you must:
- Be a Victorian household or business
- Install a product that is listed on the Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards register and meets certain minimum star ratings (depending on the upgrade product).
Your participation is voluntary. For more info visit energy.vic.gov.au
Support for Households:
Pandemic Leave Payment
$450 is available for people who need to isolate due to having COVID-19 or having to care for someone with COVID-19 and therefore cannot work and earn income.
The program is ongoing.
- Have or have had COVID-19 and can’t earn any income during isolation period
- Looking after someone who has COIVD-19 and can’t earn income during isolation period
Power Saving Bonus for all Victorian households
The Program Saving Bonus (PSB) is a one-off $250 payment to Victorian households who look for a better energy deal on Victoria’s Energy Compare website. The new $250 payment builds on the existing PSB program, previously available to eligible concession card holders.
The PSB program has been extended to 30 June 2023.
- All you have to do is compare, even if you don’t change your supplier.
- Be an Victorian business or Household
- Visit the Program Saving Bonus website and follow the prompts.
How to find local grants and grants specific to your industry and needs:
Local council is a great place to look for grants. There’s often opportunities for classes, training/personal development, creative or funding, especially if you’re a business impacting local community.
Looking for more tailored support? Go to the Grants and Programs finder at business.gov.au. There are over 732 grants on offer and you can filter the results to find a grant, program or some training opportunities that may suit you!